The badge installation stopped working recently, probably after last Google Chrome update. Problem look like this: after clicking "install now" badge the confirmation window to install Adobe AIR appears ("Would you like to install adobe AIR?"). I click yes, download progress bar goes from 0 to 100%, and then error message appears ("Download error. Try again?"). Click yes - everything repeats.
Also, in Chrome on Windows there is text under the badge: "In order to run <app name>, this installer will also set up Adobe AIR" - but latest AIR is already installed. We used standard installation badge, provided with the SDK.
OS Windows 7 ver 6.1 (build 7600)
Browser Google Chrome 21.0.1180.60 m
Flash Player 22.214.171.124
The problem appears only in Google Chrome, and only on Windows. In IE and FF everything seems to work fine. In Chrome 21.0.1180.57 on Mac OS X 10.7.2 it works fine as well.
There is a cumbersome workaround but it does clearly show that this is a PPAPI (pepper) related issue.
- Navigate to "about:plugins" in the Chrome address bar
- Click the Details link in the upper right part of the page to expand all items
- Locate the "Shockwave Flash" entries (there will be 2 or 3 of these)
- Click "Disable" for the PPAPI copy (most likely the first one listed), which has a version number of 126.96.36.199
- Restart Chrome for good measure and try again